Monday, September 10, 2007

Four for Texas


Well, the family and I arrived in Austin late Wednesday night, and have found suitable accomodations here in the North End.

The town is hopping, with the Austin City Limits Festival this week, and of course, the University of Texas Longhorns football season in full swing. I thought the people in Florida were mental about the Gators, but that weren't nuthin' compared to the people here and their passion for the 'Horns. By the way, UT had a big second half on Saturday to beat TCU and are now 2-0.

In addiction to headlining the ACL Fest, Bob Dylan is playing a show at Stubb's Bar-B-Q this week, and I'm bound and determined to go. I may have to settle for just the brisket and no Bob, because tickets are going to be mighty hard to come by. Despite numerous opportunities, I've never seen Dylan live. When the Rolling Thunder Revue played Montreal back in '75, I didn't have a driver's license yet, and none of my high school friends wanted to go. If it had been Rush or Aerosmith, I'd have had plenty of takers. In recent years, as Bob has been on his Neverending Tour, I passed on more than one occasion to see him in concert, usually because I couldn't get good seats. But to see him in a Barbecue joint that holds a few hundred people? Now that would be incredible.

Of course, I've got other things to worry about right now, like getting a job, and moving our belongings into our new apartment. Most of our stuff will be arriving in a SAM on Wednesday. Getting the king-size mattress up to the second floor should be fun.

Ich bin ein Austiner!

No comments: