Saturday, May 23, 2009

Classic Rerun: The Mal Thursday Show #9

THE MAL THURSDAY SHOW #9: Sons of the Stage
Originally posted 20 October 2008

To kick off a weekly series of podcasts from the GaragePunk.com archives, here's my self-referential variation on THE MAL THURSDAY SHOW #4: Songs The Lyres Taught Us, featuring various songs covered by my old bands: The Malarians (1984-1990), The Cheetahs (1991-2001), and The Whores (2000). Featuring music from the MC5, the Dead Boys, Mott the Hoople, Nobody's Children, the Painted Ship, and the Lonely Moans, among many others.

As I wrote at the time, "This episode is bittersweet, in that part of me wishes I was still up there on stage with a mic in my hand. These days, my voice has about three songs in it before I start sounding like Jack Klugman. Most of all, I remember how much fun it was to play these songs for people."

Presented in Living Monophonic Sound.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN NOW!

Mal Thursday and The Cheetahs:
THE CHEETAHS: That's Your Problem
THE OUTSIDERS: Filthy Rich
THE CREATION: Makin' Time
THE WARLOCKS: New Things Runnin' Around My Mind
THE FLAMIN' GROOVIES: Between the Lines
LONELY MOANS: Rotting
PETER ZAREMBA & THE LOVE DELEGATION: Some Velvet Morning

The Whores:
MC5: Kick Out the Jams
IGGY & THE STOOGES: Dirt (alt. take)/I Got a Right
DEREK & CLIVE: Sex Manual
MOTT THE HOOPLE: One of the Boys (demo)
THE DEAD BOYS: I Need Lunch (rough mix)

The Malarians:
THE TAMRONS: Wild Man
THE COLONY: All I Want
THE MAGIC MUSHROOMS: Never Let Go
TERRY REID: Superlungs My Supergirl
THE BAD ROADS: Blue Girl
THE CLUE: Bad Times
NOBODY'S CHILDREN: Good Times
THE TURTLES: A Walk in the Sun
THE PAINTED SHIP: Frustration
THE MALARIANS: What's New, Pussycat?

No comments: