Friday, January 8, 2010

Malarians to Reunite?!?

I've been hearing rumors for a while now that my old band, the Malarians (the '80s neo-garage band, not the Spanish ska band), will be reuniting to play the music festival at the Hampshire College 40th Anniversary Celebration this June.

It was news to me, and seemingly unlikely, given that I'm now living in Austin, far, far away from Western Massachusetts. That, and the bass player's dead.

However, the idea is starting to gain traction, and my attitude has changed from bemused skepticism to "Hey, if there's any money in it, I'll break out the black turtleneck."

I wrote about the Malarians' checkered history in 2007 in "The Chunk Records Story, Part One."

We'd have to get a couple of club gigs to make it worthwhile for us to learn up a whole set of songs, maybe at the Sierra Grille in Northampton (site of the legendary Bay State Hotel), and possibly the Middle East in Cambridge (a double bill with Lyres would be super-sweet).

Stay tuned for further details, and in the meantime, take a listen to The Mal Thursday Show #9: Sons of the Stage, which features a bunch of songs the Malarians used to cover, and no doubt would cover again if this thing comes to pass.

No comments: